Thursday, October 16, 2008

Who knew there would be so much math?

It always amazes me how much math is involved in crafting. When you sew, you have to do the math to figure out sizing and how much fabric you'll need. Knitting has tons of math - from gauge to yardage to sizing and shaping. Now I have learned the importance of math in weaving. I had two hanks of a hand-dyed sock yarn, and wanted to make a scarf thingie - just a simple one. I did the math, see?
I figured out how much I needed for the warp and set it up. A few months later (I had trouble focusing on this project over the summer, I'm just saying), I realized that I was going to run out of weft way before I ran out of warp. See the empty shuttle? How did that happen?
So I have little bits of leftovers - I have no idea what I'll do with them - but I also have a beautiful scarf/wrap/neckwarmer! I love it. Here it is on my (now empty) loom.
See how pretty the colors are?
Next I'm doing a scarf for my mother for the holidays. With sparkly yarn in a burgundy color! I'll need one hank of Silk Pearl for warp and one hank of Bead Pearl and Sequins for weft. Kathy wrote out hers here. I hope I do the math right this time!! Of course I also have this pretty little scarf (and I mean little yarn, little needles) that I'm trying to do. There just isn't enough time in the day.

No comments: