Monday, January 26, 2009

Culture Shock

I'm back from California. What a great trip - I wish I could have stayed longer. I don't know any place that has better food, overall, than CA. Imagine artichokes, once grilled and once baked. Yum. And avocados on everything! I stopped at a little cafe in San Rafael one morning, just looking for a bagel, and here is what I got. It was so delicious. I think I'll buy up a bunch of avocados and have them ready for any breakfast that comes along! (But they never taste as good in MA as they do in CA, do they.) After a day of airline food (which had to be PURCHASED along with everything liquid, including water, that had to be PURCHASED - shame on you, USAirways), California cuisine seemed very far away.
And then I experienced this.
"Sesame Street Live: Elmo Makes Music!" We had a great time, but I had forgotten how commercial these shows can be. From the lobby, to intermission, and then the post-show onslaught - it's no wonder that kids learn to "need" and "want" everything. Of course we indulged. But the music was fun, and it was a joy to see our granddaughter soaking it all in.

Now back to reality.

No comments: