Monday, December 01, 2008

Advent Calendar


My daughter thought C would like an Advent Calendar this year. About a day later, I saw this and knew I wanted to make one instead of buying one, especially since the bought version would probably be filled entirely with candy. So I purchased all the materials and set to work. The embroidered numbers were done on the way back from Thanksgiving at my brother's house. And my new workspace was perfect for laying out the squares of felt. Purl Soho made a slight error in my order, so I only had one of the two red shades they recommended. I had to do a little rearranging of the colors, but I think it turned out well. (I photographed it lying on the floor so it's not the greatest picture.)


Yesterday I went looking for 24 little things to go into the pockets - the pockets are only about 2.5" square, so each day's surprise has to be small! I mixed in some candy along the way, but most days are little goodies like post-it tags, a couple of ornaments, hair do-dads, and some little jewelry items. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Oh - I split it in two pieces (unlike the original which was one long panel) so that it can be hung out of the reach of inquiring little hands. Each panel is 12" square, and there are four of them, so the original design was quite long from top to bottom. By making it in two pieces, it can be hung at normal picture-hanging height. I also got some tension-mounted curtain rods, so H can hang each panel in a window if she wants.


I can't deliver it until tomorrow night, but I can't wait to see the reactions! Can you guess what December 20th's goodie is?


2 comments:

tucker said...

She is going to be so excited!

a friend to knit with said...

so cute, betsy!
i always have the hardest time trying to fill the days!!